Garlic & Tuscan Herb Tuna Stuffed Roast Tomatoes
Warm baked tomatoes stuffed with flavorful garlic, herb tuna and wild brown rice is a wonderful side dish or meal.
40 Minutes Total Time
- 5 oz. can Genova Garlic & Tuscan Herb Yellowfin Tuna
- 5-6 large tomatoes on vine
- 1/2 cup cooked brown or wild rice
- 2 Tablespoon chopped red onion
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon chopped Italian parsley, plus extra for topping
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven at 450°F.
- Slice the tops off the tomatoes (reserve for later) and gently core out the insides, leaving a thick wall on the tomatoes. Invert upside-down on paper towel to drain. Set aside.
- Combine the tuna with the flavored tuna oil, cooked rice, red onion, celery, parmesan, salt, and parsley.
- Stuff the tomatoes with the tuna mixture and place in a baking dish or baking sheet pan. Place the reserved tomato tops on the baking sheet pan off to the side of the stuffed tomatoes. Lightly oil the tomatoes and tops.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the tomatoes are tender and the tuna filling is heated through.
- While the tomatoes bake, make the dressing. Whisk together all the balsamic dressing ingredients (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper).
- After the tomatoes are baked, drizzle the dressing over the tomatoes. Finish with the roasted tomato tops. Serve warm or at room temperature.