This classic Shashuka (poached eggs in tomato sauce) just got more protein with yellowfin tuna. The rich flavors of the tomato sauce with eggs and tuna is the ultimate brunch dish. Serve with bread to complete the meal!
15 Minutes Total Time
- 5 oz. can Genova Yellowfin Tuna in Olive Oil, oil drained and reserved
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 4 large eggs
- grilled bread or toast (for gluten-free serve with gluten-free bread)
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
- additional salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped Italian parsley, for garnish
- Heat large saucepan on medium heat. Add the oil from the tuna can, then add onions and cook until lightly brown and fragrant.
- Add tomato sauce, ground cumin, paprika and salt. Stir until everything is combined well. Stir in the tuna. Bring the sauce to a low boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer the sauce on low heat for about 5 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Crack the eggs into the tomato sauce. Cover the pan. Cook eggs in the sauce for about 5-8 minutes, or until the whites are set and the yolks are set to your liking.
- Spoon the egg, tuna and tomato sauce over toast. Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with parsley. Serve warm.