Tuna & Vegetable Risotto
A savory, protein-rich twist on a traditional northern Italian rice dish, this Tuna & Vegetable Risotto is deliciously hearty and satisfying. Full of flavor yet easy to make, it’s a perfect weeknight family dinner.
30 Minutes Total Time
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup sliced asparagus, 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 – 5 oz. cans Genova Yellowfin Tuna in Olive Oil, drained
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Fresh thyme sprigs for garnish
- In medium saucepan, heat vegetable broth to boiling. Then, reduce heat to low and simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add oil and, once hot, add onion to cook until just tender.
- Stir the rice in with the onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add white wine, and simmer until wine has been almost absorbed by rice, stirring constantly.The process of cooking the rice should take about 25 minutes. Gradually add simmering vegetable broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly and waiting until broth is fully absorbed before adding each next 1/2 cup of broth. When risotto has cooked for 10 minutes, add asparagus. Continue cooking and adding broth for about 15 more minutes. During last 5 minutes of cooking, add thyme, salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat when rice is tender, but still firm. Stir in the tuna, Parmesan cheese and heavy cream, and then garnish with thyme sprigs. Serve immediately.